Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Finding the joy...a dispatcher's search for job happiness.

It seems to me, that when you've been doing something for an extended period of time, you tend to lose the joy in what you do.

Realizing this, I've started to question why I'm doing what I'm doing, and trying to turn the tables on how I approach the main subject.

I've taken a newer approach to my job, asking myself a few questions to help diagnose whether I'm burnt out or just bored. Some of these questions include: what is my main purpose, do I really enjoy my job and what aspects do I like about my job.

The first question, is obvious: my job is to help those in need of assistance from law enforcement or fire department services. That's a no brainer, but that is the most important thing to remember about my job. I am the link between the caller and the first responders.

If you take a more detailed look, from a faith based point of view, I am there to serve others. I personally feel my faith plays an important role in my job. The problem is, I don't allow my faith to work "behind the scenes" if you will. I don't need to tell people "God bless you" or other faith sayings, but what I can do is pray for those who need it most. That includes the first responders. I believe God has put me in this job to serve, and I can either do it happily or just be miserable the rest of my career.

Secondly, do I enjoy my job? I can honestly say I do enjoy doing what I do. Its no adrenaline rush, and there are the good calls and the bad calls, and I've learned coping skills to deal with the bad ones. But what I fail to do is actually taking pride in my job. I always tell myself I want to do better, but I never practice the art of becoming better. I feel as though I'm not going any further, so why bother? Imagine going through the rest of your life never learning any new things. Sounds boring, huh?

Finally, what aspects of my job do I like. Well, first off, the hours. I work the afternoon shift, which is 3pm to 11pm. I have time in the morning to do things, like working around the house, excercize, and do some hobbies. Really, I do like these hours. Sure, I'm not home in the evenings, and if there are any special events, I do have the ability to take time off, so that's a big plus. There are a few tasks I really enjoy, and am always trying to find new ways of doing paperwork quicker and easier.

So, in a nutshell, that's what I've come up with. Maybe a good refocus, reboot, reset or whatever you want to call it, is in order. Whatever you call it, staying fresh, and having a positive outlook on your career, whatever it may be, I have found to be vital.

Maybe this isn't news to most, but it is a new discovery for me.

No comments: