Friday, March 27, 2009

Ill let the pictures speak for themselves...






I built the frame for the mirror, since I had some red oak in the garage(and Menards wants $100 for a framed mirror!). I ripped it to 3", rabbetted a 3/4" groove to place the mirror and a 1/2" plywood backer board. The finish is the same Red Oak as I used on the table and the vanity is dark cherry. I think the frame matches well. But what I did was layed one heavy coat on, then let it dry for a couple of days. Then I layed down another real heavy coat. I didnt wipe any excess off. I left it on to soak in. Though the 2nd coat never really fully dried after 3 days, I brushed on 2 coats of satin poly finish.
Now, it's pretty heavy, so what I did to mount it was took another 2 1/2" piece of oak, ripped it somewhat center at a 45deg angle, so I ended up with 2 pieces. One goes on the wall with the angle going down towards the wall like: \. Then I placed the other piece on the mirror upside down from the wall mounted one like this: /. They interlock, and it is alot stronger that just plain screws in a 2x4. It distributes the weight more evenly.

Anyway, that's all for now. Im gunna do the dishes then relax. PEACE!

1 comment:

Tood said...

renee said to leave positive comments. :) The bathroom looks great!!!