Thursday, September 1, 2011

I am worthy!

So, I have really been struggling with my faith lately. The main thing is confusion. Confusion over how we, children of God, are labeled, by ourselves, as "sinners",not worthy of God's love, but that he loves us anyway. I mean, I understand it, but I don't get why we, the "body", have to beat people over the head with depressing things like this. I mean, when someone you love is down on their luck, depressed, and having a really crappy life, the last thing you want to tell them is that they are no good and they will never be worthy of the love you may have for them. Right? I mean, that's a huge kick in the gut! So, we support and encourage until things turn around. Then it's back to the same old thing. "We are never going to be good enough...". Ok, define "good enough" and what chances do I have? According to this information, here is what I am hearing:

Read, pray and devote your life to God. But you aren't good enough for His love and attention, so you need to repent of everything you do, because you are a sinner no matter what(is that because we we were born?) then maybe He will forgive you, but you still wont be good enough for Him.

I feel as though I am in a competition with siblings for my parent's affection. That no matter what I do, or how I do it, I truly will not be worthy of God's love. And for a person who has never been shown what it's like to have true love, or to truly love, that's the kick in the gut. What's the point? Why bother? Why am I working so hard for something I will never obtain?

But if God truly loves me for who I am, then He is going to accept me for what I am. I know that I shouldn't place these kind of ultimatums with God, but no matter how hard I try to please Him, I fail. I am human. And I think God, who created this vast universe, would have the intelligence to say "You know, they are human, and they aren't going to be perfect, but I will love them now matter what. They are going to do things I don't like, but as long as they know that I am here, and that if I know that I am on their minds once in awhile, and if they do pray occasionally, they will always have my love and be worthy to be my children forever..."

I think we tend to bash ourselves for being human. I think we need to celebrate that we are human. I think we need to stop feeling so bad about this and know that God loves us no matter what we do(but there are guidelines you know). As long as we know who He is. What He has done for us.I am thinking I need to get over this "not worthy" business and get on with " You know what? He is my Father, I am his son. He loves me for no matter what I may have done." I AM WORTHY!

1 comment:

Tood said...

Interesting post, Dave. I need some time to mull it over...