Saturday, February 13, 2010

Desert 5

The alarm clock was screaming at me to wake up. I rolled over and hit the snooze button, once, maybe twice. Finally, with regrets that I hadn’t gone to bed sooner than I did, I sat up. I rubbed my chin, and felt a beard. This is weird, I thought. I remember shaving yesterday. I went into the bathroom, and looked in the mirror. Wow! A full beard. When did I grow that? This couldn’t have happened overnight? I jumped in the shower, took care of the facial growth and got ready for work.

As I was making my lunch, the phone rang. 9:45 at night, who could be calling me now? I looked at the caller ID, it was my boss calling from his cell phone. I answered. “Hey, could you do me a favor? “ he asked. “Sure John, what do you need?” He replied “Can you stop by my office before you start your shift? I have a few things I need to discuss with you.” Uh oh, I thought. I knew the beard was against policy, which confused me even more as to why I grew it. “Sure, Ill be leaving here in a few minutes. Is it about the beard?” I asked. “Beard? Um,no.” He sounded confused. “Ok, Ill see you when I get in.”

On my way, all kinds of things were going through my head as to the reason for this meeting. Yet, my mind kept coming back to Najeeb and the tribe I was with. Now, I hadn’t thought anything about this “dream” if you will, tonight, until now. I switched thoughts again to my tasks at work. As I got closer to the factory, I got this sinking feeling in my gut. Something wasn’t right.

John was sitting in his office, his back to the door and he was holding up a file, reading. “You wanted to see me?” I said after a light rap on the door frame. “Please, have a seat.” He said, standing up and motioning to a chair across from his desk. I plopped down in the leather cushioned chair. “Steve, I have been looking at your time off requests, and I am a little concerned”. Funny, I thought, I don’t remember requesting any time off. “OK, what’s wrong?” I asked. “It seems that your vacations you have been putting in for have been requested a week apart. Are there any problems you’re having at home?” Boy, was he reading my mind? “Well, I have been under a lot of stress lately, and not sleeping well lately, but other than that, no, not really. Why is this a concern to you?” He leaned in closer to me and looked me in the eye. “Look, you are the best employee we have had here in a long time. We want to keep you healthy and happy. Now, are you sure there isn’t anything else that is bothering you?” He looked at me as if I was holding something back. Little did he know!

‘Well, John, actually there is something that has been bothering me.” I paused, resettled in my chair, looked at my watch. Five minutes before shift change. “But I don’t have time to get into this right now. Can we talk later?” He nodded. “Sure Steve, no problem.” He said leaning back in his chair. “ Just remember that my door is open when you are ready.”

1 comment: